Updated September 9, 2020
The following are important updates for applicants on the pathway to become Registered Audiologists (RAUDs), Registered Hearing Instrument Practitioners (RHIPs), and Registered Speech-Language Pathologists (RSLPs) in BC.
Entry-to-practice examination for audiology and speech-language pathology applicants
Canadian-educated and international applicants to become RAUDs or RSLPs in BC must pass an entry-to-practice examination before CSHBC can grant Full registration. Section 85(1)(b) of the CSHBC Bylaws stipulates that “successful completion of the examination approved by the registration committee” is a condition of Full registration.
Since its inception, CSHBC has required the Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC) Certification Examination (SAC Exam) as a condition of Full registration with the College for the audiology and speech-language pathology professions. In 2019, SAC announced that it will retire the SAC Exam and instead administer the new Canadian Entry to Practice Examination (CETP Exam) for audiology and speech-language pathology in collaboration with the Canadian Alliance of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Regulators (CAASPR). CSHBC, along with regulators in Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec, recently withdrew membership from CAASPR.
The CSHBC Registration Committee has yet to approve an entry-to-practice examination for audiology and speech-language pathology applicants that will replace the now retired SAC Exam. CSHBC is, however, actively engaged in determining an appropriate examination (or examinations) for applicants to complete in 2020 and beyond. CSHBC will provide an update before September 25, 2020. Thank you for your patience. For more information about the comprehensive process by which the Registration Committee assesses and approves entry-to-practice exams required under CSHBC Bylaws as conditions of registration, see the new CSHBC Entry-to-Practice Examination Approval policy (PDF).
BC applicants should not register for an entry-to-practice examination until CSHBC has announced approval of an exam (or exams), and that registration is open for the approved exam(s).
IHS written examination for hearing instrument dispensing applicants
Many testing centers that administer the International Hearing Society (IHS) written examination, required for applicants to become RHIPs, are currently closed due to COVID-19. Please visit the IHS examination website for more information and updates. Also see the Kryterion Global Testing Solutions website for information on which testing centers have reopened or remain closed.
CSHBC Practical Examination for hearing instrument dispensing applicants
The CSHBC Practical Examination is also required for applicants to become RHIPs.
Practical Examination eligibility
To be eligible to take the CSHBC Practical Examination, applicants must provide the College with the following:
- Proof of passing the IHS written examination
- Completion of the Summary of Clinical Practice Hours HID Program form (PDF)
Practical Examination registration
Applicants wishing to register for the Practical Examination must send an email to [email protected], with “HID Practical Exam Registration” in the subject line, by the deadline of October 16, 2020.
Applicants must provide the following information in the email:
- Whether they have passed the IHS written examination, including proof of passing the exam. If not, they must indicate when they intend to write it. CSHBC recommends that applicants complete the IHS written exam at last two weeks prior to the deadline for registering for the Practical Examination; IHS written exam results may take time to be processed by IHS and sent to CSHBC.
- Whether they have completed their practicum and provided their Summary of Clinical Practice Hours HID Program form (PDF). If not, they must indicate the anticipated completion date of their practicum.
- Their first, second, and third choice of exam date and time – see list of available dates and times below.
Once CSHBC has confirmed eligibility to take the exam, we will send applicants instructions for paying the examination fee. Examination registration is not confirmed until CSHBC sends an email confirmation.
Dates and times of the Practical Examination
The examination will be held on the following dates and times:
- November 13, 2020: 4:20 pm arrival, 5:00 pm exam
- November 14, 2020: 8:20 am arrival, 9:00 am exam or 12:20 pm arrival, 1:00 pm exam
- November 15, 2020: 8:20 am arrival, 9:00 am exam or 12:20 pm arrival, 1:00 pm exam
- November 20, 2020: 4:20 pm arrival, 5:00 pm exam
- November 21, 2020: 8:20 am arrival, 9:00 am exam or 12:20 pm arrival, 1:00 pm exam
- November 22, 2020: 8:20 am arrival, 9:00 am exam or 12:20 pm arrival, 1:00 pm exam
Examinees will have an opportunity to familiarize themselves with the equipment prior to the exam start time.
Location, arrival time, entrance, and COVID-19 protocol
The Practical Examination will be held at Surrey Memorial Hospital (SMH), 13750 96 Avenue,
- Examinees must arrive no later than the arrival time listed above for the exam you are registered in. For example, if your exam time is 9:00 am, you must arrive no later than 8:20 am. Examinees arriving late will miss their exam and will not be accommodated.
- All examinees are to enter hospital via the North Entrance (along 96thavenue).
- All examinees are to wait in the North lobby as they will not be allowed to enter without accompanying SMH staff.
- Examinees and volunteers will be met at the North Entrance at arrival times specified above. A COVID-19 screening questionnaire will be performed. Examinees and volunteers who pass the screening will be escorted as a group to the examination site.
All examinees must bring and utilize the following personal protective equipment (PPE):
- Mask (for examinee and volunteer)
- Goggles or face shield
- Disinfecting wipes