Canadian- and internationally-educated applicants applying to become Registered Audiologists (RAUDs) and Registered Speech-Language Pathologists (RSLPs) in BC may now register for Praxis Exams for audiology and speech-language pathology. In September 2020, CSHBC approved Praxis Exams as examinations required for entry-to-practice. See the CSHBC news story on the College’s approval of the Praxis Exams.
Educational Testing Service (ETS) administers the Praxis Exams. To register, designate your scores to be sent to CSHBC, and prepare for taking a Praxis Exam, follow these steps on the ETS-Praxis website:
1. Register for an exam and designate your scores to be sent to CSHBC
For detailed instructions on how to register for an exam and designate your scores to be sent to CSHBC, see the Praxis Test Registration Guidance (PDF) that ETS has prepared for applicants to the College. CSHBC strongly recommends that applicants follow this guidance, which includes helpful screenshots.
Please note that the ETS guidance outlines an interim registration process for CSHBC applicants that will be streamlined once the College is fully integrated in the ETS system.
Important notes about registration and sending scores to CSHBC
Social security number
When creating your ETS-Praxis account, you will see a “Social Security Number” field. You can leave this field empty.
- Applicants to become RAUDs should select Audiology (5343). IMPORTANT: Do not select Audiology (5342). This is an older version of the Audiology exam that is being phased out.
- Applicants to become RSLPs should select Speech-Language Pathology (5331).
Options to take a Praxis exam at home or at a testing centre
During the registration process, you will be able to register for taking the Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology exam as a home exam, with live monitoring by an online proctor, or at a testing centre. See the Praxis Tests at Home page for information about the process and requirements for taking exams at home.
Home testing is currently available in Canada and the US only. However, you may take the exam in person at many testing centres worldwide, including one in Vancouver.
Sending previously obtained Praxis scores to CSHBC
If you passed a Praxis audiology or speech-language pathology exam prior to CSHBC’s approval of Praxis Exams in September 2020, and wish to use the results in your application, you can request that ETS send an “additional score report” to CSHBC at a cost of $50 (US). For information, see:
- Requesting Additional Score Reports (PDF) (ETS guidance, including screenshots, prepared for CSHBC applicants.)
- Sending Your Praxis Scores
2. Prepare for your exam by reviewing preparation materials
ETS offers preparation materials for each exam such as a study companion, study plan, interactive practice test (for purchase), and other materials.
- See the Audiology (5343) Preparation Materials page.
- See the Speech-Language Pathology (5331) Preparation Materials page.
If you have questions, contact ETS Customer Support:
- Phone: 1.800.772.9476. Phone support available Monday–Friday, 5 am–3 pm PDT and Saturday, 5 am–1:30 pm PDT (except for US holidays).
- Contact form
SAC Exam results
Audiology and speech-language pathology applicants also have the option to meet the CSHBC entry-to-practice exam requirement by submitting results from the now-retired Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC) Exam obtained up to March 2020. SAC Exam results must be sent directly from SAC to CSHBC.
For more information, contact CSHBC: [email protected].