The BC Ministry of Health has confirmed in a letter that legal amalgamations of 11 BC health profession regulatory colleges, including CSHBC, are to be completed before the end of June 2024.
Amalgamation of the colleges has been anticipated since a report by Harry Cayton, CBE, released by the Ministry of Health in 2019, and the 2020 report of the Steering Committee on Modernization of Health Professional Regulation that recommended:
- The creation of a new college of allied health professions through the amalgamation of:
- College of Dietitians of BC
- College of Occupational Therapists of BC
- College of Optometrists of BC
- College of Opticians of BC
- College of Physical Therapists of BC
- College of Psychologists of BC
- College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of BC
- The creation of a new college of complementary and alternative health professions through the amalgamation of:
- College of Chiropractors of BC
- College of Massage Therapists of BC
- College of Naturopathic Physicians of BC
- College of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncturists of BC
The Ministry of Health letter also acknowledges that the Ministry has committed to providing financial support for the amalgamating colleges to implement the amalgamations. The colleges are jointly developing a plan and process for moving forward with this work.
Amalgamations involving the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC, the BC College of Nurses and Midwives, and the BC College of Oral Health Professionals have already taken place.
Including the College of Pharmacists of BC, there will be six health profession regulatory colleges in BC after the two pending amalgamations have been completed.
Another significant part of the Ministry’s initiative to modernize regulation of health professions is the Health Professions and Occupations Act, which received Royal Assent November 24, 2022. When the new legislation is in force, it will replace the Health Professions Act as the governing legislation for health profession regulatory colleges in BC. The Ministry has not yet released an implementation schedule and in force date for the Health Professions and Occupations Act.
CSHBC will continue to communicate with the public, registrants, applicants, and other stakeholders as more information is confirmed about amalgamation of health profession regulatory colleges and the Health Professions and Occupations Act.
For more information
See the BC Ministry of Health’s Professional Regulation page for information about the Health Professions and Occupations Act and regulation of health professions in BC.