Reserved Titles

The following are reserved titles protected under section 3 of the Speech and Hearing Health Professionals Regulation:

  • “audiologist”
  • “hearing instrument practitioner”
  • “speech-language pathologist”
  • “speech therapist”

Only qualified health professionals can legally use these titles or the abbreviations “RAUD”, “RHIP”, and “RSLP” in BC. In addition, only qualified health professionals can use these titles as part of any term or description used to describe themselves.

Health professionals who are entitled to use these titles and abbreviations are CSHBC registrants. They have met the College’s registration requirements, including post-secondary education and clinical practicums, and have passed national or provincial registration examinations. They are regulated under the Health Professions Act, the Speech and Hearing Health Professionals Regulation, and CSHBC Bylaws. They must demonstrate continued practice competency and currency and meet Standards of Practice and standards of professional ethics to ensure that they practice safely, effectively, and ethically.

The terms “communication health assistant”, “speech language assistant”, and “industrial audiometric technician” are examples of titles not reserved by law in BC. Any individual, typically practicing under the supervision of a CSHBC registrant, may use these terms. These unregulated individuals do not necessarily carry liability insurance and there is no recourse to the College should they practice unsafely, ineffectively, or unethically. Refer to the following for more information about titles and credentials:

Reporting unlawful practice and/or reserved title use

Anyone who is aware of an individual conducting unlawful practice and/or using a reserved title may inform the College by submitting a complaint to CSHBC. Complaints about unlawful practice may be submitted through the following options:

  • Use the secure Complaint Portal (after creating an account, which can be used to track your complaint)
  • Use the secure Complaint Form (no account needed)
  • Send an email to:
  • Send a letter or fax to:
    • The Registrar
      College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of British Columbia
      900 – 200 Granville St
      Vancouver, BC, V6C 1S4
      Fax: 604.357.1185

Because this type of report concerns individuals who are not registrants of the College, CSHBC will accept anonymous reports of unauthorized practice and/or title use.

For more information, see Making a Complaint About Unlawful Practice

College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of British Columbia

900 – 200 Granville St
Vancouver, BC, V6C 1S4

Phone: 604.742.6380
Toll-free: 1.888.742.6380