Duty to Report

RAUDs, RHIPs, and RSLPs have legal obligations to report certain types of conduct, including child abuse and serious professional misconduct by other RAUDs, RHIPs, or RSLPs or other regulated health professionals.

RAUDs, RHIPs, and RSLPs should be aware of their reporting obligations under the Health Professions Act (HPA) and the Child, Family and Community Service Act (CFCSA).

Health Professions Act

Under the HPA, all health practitioners are legally obligated to report when they have a good reason to believe the public is at risk as a result of a practitioner not being competent or suffering from a physical or mental ailment, an emotional disturbance, or an addiction to alcohol or drugs that impairs their ability to practise.

Sexual misconduct by a regulated health practitioner must be reported. When concerns about sexual misconduct are based on information provided by a patient, the consent of the patient or their parent/guardian must be obtained before making the report.

A doctor treating a RAUD, RHIP, or RSLP who is unable to practise due to being hospitalized for psychiatric care or treatment, or for treatment for addiction to alcohol or drugs, is obligated to report the professional to CSHBC.

Traditionally, duty to report notifications have been raised when a registrant’s competence is in question and may put the public at risk. Unethical and unprofessional conduct can also constitute a danger to the public.

If you are unsure about whether to report, contact CSHBC or the College of the professional in question to determine if it is necessary to make a formal report. An inquiry made without the name of the practitioner does not automatically turn into a formal report.

However, a health professional with reasonable and probable grounds to make a report on another professional must do so and may be subject to disciplinary measures if there is a failure to abide by that duty.

Child, Family and Community Service Act

As regulated health professionals, RAUDs, RHIPs, and RSLPs have an important role to play in keeping children safe. They should be aware of, and alert to, the signs of child abuse and neglect. A “child” is a person under 19 years of age. 

Anyone who has reason to believe that a child has been or is likely to be abused or neglected has a legal duty under the CFCSA to report the matter. Reports may be made to a child protection social worker at a Ministry of Children and Family Development office, or at a First Nations child welfare agency that provides child protection services.

For more information, see Child Protection Services in BC or refer to any or all of the following CSHBC resources:

College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of British Columbia

900 – 200 Granville St
Vancouver, BC, V6C 1S4

Phone: 604.742.6380
Toll-free: 1.888.742.6380
Email: [email protected]