Changing Registration Classification

Registrants can change registration classifications from:

  • Full to Non-practising registration 
  • Non-practising to Full registration
  • Conditional to Full registration

General guidelines on how to change registration classification

Important: Registrants wishing to change registration classifications:

  • during the current registration year (April 1, 2023 – March 31, 2024) should do so in the Registrant Portal under “Registration Change Request”, and follow the steps outlined below.
  • for the next registration year (April 1, 2024 – March 31, 2025) should do so in the Registrant Portal under “Registration Renewal” during the registration renewal period. Do not use “Registration Change Request” during the registration renewal period, which typically starts at the beginning of February and concludes at the end of March. If approved, change requests submitted via the Registrant Portal during the registration renewal period are valid on April 1, the start of the registration year. This date could be later, depending upon the date that the renewal is approved.

Changing from Full to Non-practising

Different registration change requests have varied steps. Registrants who are converting from Full to Non-practising registration should understand the implications of converting to Non-practising, and what is involved in converting back to Full registration, by reading CSHBC Bylaw section 64(6) in addition to the information provided below under the heading “Changing from Non-practising to Full”.

Registrants who change to Non-practising registration should also understand that they are still subject to Quality Assurance & Professional Practice (QAPP) Program requirements specified in CSHBC Bylaws. Non-practising registrants are subject to Continuing Competency Credit (CCC) and Practice Hour (PH) requirements. Registrants who fail to meet CCC or PH requirements must submit and obtain approval for a deficiency plan. Registrants changing to Non-practising registration are strongly advised to read the Notice to the Professions on QAPP Program requirements that apply to Non-practising registrants.

Changing from Full to Non-practising registration requires either:

  • submitting a registration change request in the Registrant Portal (for the current registration year); or
  • renewing a registration in the Registrant Portal (for the next registration year).

Both include a declaration that the registrant will not practise while holding Non-practising registration.

Note: No refunds of registration fees are provided. Paid Full registration fees are not refunded when a registrant converts from Full to Non-practising registration. 

Changing from Non-practising to Full

The process for changing from Non-practising to Full registration is more involved:

  • Registrants must submit the relevant application and pay the Full registration fee of $950 for the entire year. For those submitting a registration classification change application for a second and third registration, an additional fee of $150 applies for each additional Full registration. Fees are prorated every quarter; after each quarter that passes, the fee drops by $237.50 for the first registration or by $37.50 for each additional Full registration. Registrants are charged the Full registration fee with fee differences credited back by the College. 

Note: Fees already paid towards Non-practising registration cannot be used towards the Full registration fee. 

  • After a registration change request has been submitted, CSHBC staff will contact registrants individually with further instructions and requirements, defined by CSHBC Bylaw section 64(6). Requirements will differ depending on the registrant’s circumstances and history with the College. 

After submitting the application and paying the fee, remaining requirements include:

  • Proof of entitlement to work in Canada.
  • Verification of registration from any other health regulatory body(ies) a registrant is or has ever been regulated by. This must be dated within 60 days of the application and specify the particulars of any cancellation, suspension, limitation, or conditions on the registrant’s entitlement to practise or any investigation, review, or proceeding that could lead to one of those outcomes.
  • Proof of completion of the requirements of the College’s QAPP Program, consisting of Continuing Competency Credit (CCC) and Practice Hour requirements, including providing a Record of Employment (ROE) or a completed Confirmation of Practice Hours form (PDF). For more information, see the Notice to the Professions on QAPP Program requirements that apply to Non-practising registrants.
  • Proof of professional liability insurance.
  • Completion of a set of disclosure and declaration questions regarding the registrant’s fitness to practise and good character.

Important: Registration classification change requests are considered complete only when the College confirms with the registrant in writing that their application has been approved. 

Changing from Conditional to Full registration

There is no application required to change from Conditional to Full registration. 

Once a Conditional registrant completes their professional entry-to-practice examination(s), the College will automatically convert a Conditional registrant to Full registration. The College will confirm with the registrant when this change has been made. 

See the Conditional Registration Requirements (PDF) and Entry-to-Practice-Examination Requirements (PDF) policies for further information. 

Use of reserved titles 

Registrants must at all times use reserved titles in compliance with the Health Professions Act, the Speech and Hearing Health Professionals Regulation, and the CSHBC Reserved Titles & Credentials policy (PDF). Failure to do so may result in disciplinary and legal action by CSHBC

Authorization to practise

Only Full registrants and Conditional registrants (when under supervision) may practise their profession. 

Non-practising registrants are not authorized to practise. Unlawful practice is taken very seriously by CSHBC and is subject to disciplinary and legal action.

College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of British Columbia

900 – 200 Granville St
Vancouver, BC, V6C 1S4

Phone: 604.742.6380
Toll-free: 1.888.742.6380
Email: [email protected]