As part of the modernization of health profession regulation in BC, the Health Professions and Occupations Act (HPOA) will replace the Health Professions Act (HPA) as the governing legislation for regulated health professionals and health profession regulatory colleges in BC.
The HPOA received Royal Assent on November 24, 2022. The BC Government has not yet released a date for when the HPOA will come into force. The HPA will continue to be the governing legislation for regulated health professionals and health profession regulatory colleges until the HPOA is in force.
As outlined in a BC Government news release, the legislation enables:
- A streamlined path to reduce the number of health professional regulatory colleges through amalgamation
- Creation of an oversight body for health regulatory colleges
- A reformed complaints process that increases accountability and transparency
- A commitment to cultural safety and humility
- Improved information sharing between colleges and with other agencies to enhance public safety and protection
- Creation of an improved governance system where all board members are appointed via a competency-based process
Also see the BC Government Health Professions and Occupations Act Q&A.
BC health profession regulators, including CSHBC, are working collaboratively toward ensuring that the bylaws for the six health profession regulatory colleges that will remain post-amalgamation and post-HPOA implementation are compliant with the new legislation.
Extensive planning and preparation for implementation of the HPOA and amalgamation of BC health profession regulatory colleges is taking place concurrently. For more information on legal amalgamations of health profession regulatory colleges – including CSHBC – that will take happen by June 28, 2024, see the Amalgamation of BC Health Profession Regulatory Colleges page.
CSHBC will communicate with registrants, applicants, and other stakeholders as more information is confirmed about the Health Professions and Occupations Act.
Copyright © 2023, College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of BC.